Thursday, July 21, 2011

Summer Bread Salad...Panzanella

I love carbs.  All of them.

Especially bread...pasta maybe more...no bread...pasta...bread...pasta....bread!

 I need therapy.

This summer I have discovered a way to make my bread a meal.

This is a traditional Italian dish and it is brilliant.  Those Italians know what they are doin'!

The Italians call it Panzanella. I call it yummy.  I also call it easy.


Day old crusty bread, fresh mozzarella,  basil, tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar. And as always...salt and pepper.


Coat bread with oil and liberally season with salt and pepper.



I grilled my bread until it was toasty on both sides.


I let it cool for a few minutes, then cut it up into bit sized chunks.





I cut everything else up roughly the same size as my bread pieces. 




I tossed in the bread and let it soak up the yummy juices from the cheese and tomatoes. It is a briny, fresh, earthy combo that can't be beat. 

I also drizzled it with olive oil and vinegar, I used a light vinegar because that is what I like.  Whatever floats your boat though...I don't judge.  Unless you have a mullet.



Serve for lunch to friends along side chilled white wine and sliced strawberries with mint.  Or pair it  with grilled chicken, meat or veggies for your family on a warm summer evening.  

Wine optional...but recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment