Monday, June 27, 2011

Mom's Potato Salad

When I was growing up, in the summer my mother would make potato salad.  Mostly around 4th of July, at least that is the way I remember it.

It was delicious.

Once I grew up, I tried to make it only a handful of times before my mother passed way and never with any success.

But after all these years I think that I have finally perfected my version of her potato salad.


Gather your friends close.  


I boiled my potatoes for about 20-25 minutes in water and then rinsed them in cold water for about 15 minutes and let them cool completely.  Overnight is ideal, otherwise 2-3 hours should suffice.
Then I chopped them up in bite sized pieces leaving the skins on.  I like the skins, they add lots of flavor.  My mother always left the skins on too, but remove them if you like, I don't mind.


I drizzled the potatoes with 2-3 Tbls. of apple cider vinegar.


While those two marinated together, I chopped up cold hard boiled eggs.


I like mine finely minced.  My mother left hers in large chunks.


The parsley should be finely minced as well.


Onions finely minced just like all the other stuff.


My olives I like medium diced.  


Everyone in the bowl with lots of pepper and plenty of salt.


Mix everyone up.


Add the mayo...Best Foods(Hellman's east of the Rockies) because that is what my mother always used.
I have an interesting history and story about mayonnaise, but I will save it for another time.


Mix thoroughly, cover and refrigerate at lease a couple of hours, ideally overnight.  All these flavors need time to get to know each other.


But if you are like me...just pop in a bowl and gobble down because you are too impatient.

This potato salad will bring ooh's and ahh's everywhere you serve it.
It sit's nicely on a bed of lettuce, next to a burger, a dog and especially along side some cold fried chicken eaten on a blanket on a warm summer evening.  Take it to your 4th of July potluck...your friends and family will thank you.

Potato Salad
3-4 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes (about 12 fist sized potatoes)
2-3 Tbls Apple Cider Vinegar
3-5 hard boiled eggs 
1/2  large white onions
1/2 C parsley
3/4-1 15oz can of black olives
1/2-3/4 C Best Food's Mayonnaise 

Boil potatoes in a pot of water with water at least 1 inch above the potatoes for about 20-25 minutes, until a fork pokes into them easily.  Rinse with cold water and let cool completely.
Cut potatoes into bite size pieces and drizzle with vinegar in large bowl.
Finely chop boiled eggs, onion and parsley and add to the potatoes in bowl.
Chop olives and add to other ingredients  with lots of black pepper and salt to taste.  Mix in mayonnaise thoroughly.  Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours, ideally overnight. Garnish with chopped or simply the leaves of parsley.















No comments:

Post a Comment