Friday, June 24, 2011

Endive Salad

I understand that in some places in the country it is summer.

Here in Oregon...I think we are still a few weeks out.  It hasn't reach 85 degrees yet.

But even though we aren't yet in full summer mode here, I couldn't wait to start eating and sharing my summer meals.

This one is so delicious!  I could eat it all day.   My family however has not developed a palate for it.  I think it is the endive, and also some members of my family don't like blue cheese.  I won't mention who because they should be ashamed of themselves.

I like this salad all by itself, but it would be a wonderful side to any summer meal.


We start with endive.


And also make sure you  have all these things around too.


I chop my endive into bite size pieces, but it is very beautiful to leave them whole and allow your guests to cut them up themselves.


Just like this would work fine.


I like my walnuts chopped fairly small.


Everything comes together.


Now for the glue that binds...the dijon dressing!


Salt.


Plenty of pepper.


Balsamic vinegar...mine is infused with blood orange flavors and aromas.


Next...good quality olive oil.


Time for emulsification (mixing everything together with the oil).


It should look like this.


I like just enough to heighten the flavors...not over power them.


And I can die a happy woman.

Dijon Dressing
1 heaping Tbls. dijon mustard
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
4-5 Tbls. good balsamic vinegar
4-5 Tbls. good quality olive oil

Combine ingredients in a bowl and whisk briskly to emulsify.
If you have an overly acidic vinegar 1-2 tsp of honey or sugar can be added to balance out the flavor.
Adjust all measurements to your tastes and to ensure proper dressing consistency.














1 comment:

  1. Thank you for beginning to post recipes for those of us that are a bit challenged in the kitchen. It looks yummy!! Sarah

    ReplyDelete