Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Beer and Beef

My husband is a ridiculously mannly fellow.  He isn't a lumberjack, or rancher, or crab fisherman, but the guy can handle a chainsaw with ease and has no trouble finding his way around an engine.  That said, he can cook a meal, do laundry, pick out china patterns and rearrange a room with just as much ease.

 Okay, so we have never picked out china together because...we don't have china.  What would we use china for?  To put under our house plants or to use for cigarette butts when smokers come over?  Or maybe to catch candle drippings?  My life is so unsophisticated...drat! 

Anyway...Mannly Marcus...he loves beer.  He loves red meat.  Such a man thing!  This alternatly irritates me and endears him to me...depending on my mood.  But don't tell him it has anything to do with my mood, I might have to change tactics.

Every so often I want to do something nice for him...not so often...but sometimes.  And because Marcus is ruled by his stomach,  I usually cook something with him in mind.

I saw Jamie Oliver put this little thing together once and knew it was for Marcus.


It combines two of his favorite things.

Beer and beef.


I like to call this little treat Guinness Pot Pie.




These babies came from my garden...I found them while I was weeding and putting everything down for the winter.


Caramelize the onions and garlic with some fresh herbs.




Add all the stuff...


Pour in the beer.


Cover and cook for 2-3 hours on low...like 300 degrees.


Oh my!


Make pastry dough...or just buy puff pastry from the store...way easier!

If you like to make things hard on yourself like I do...proceed with the homemade dough.







And then...oh my again!


It's pretty self explanatory if you want to make it.  You could even drop it all in your Magic Pot while you are at work and when you get home just pop some puff pastry or whatever you have around on top and finish off in the oven. 

I served this with a huge salad with a nice mustardy vinaigrette.

The family loved it.  I think Marcus purposed to me again that very same night.   I think it might have gone a little like this...

"I know you aren't pregnant...but would you marry me anyway?"

Ah...Romance...







No comments:

Post a Comment