Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Jewelry for Sale

I may have mentioned, actually, I know I mentioned it, that whilst in the Hollywood state, Marcus and I spent some time making jewelry at my dads house.

It's true we did.  I have pictures.

Now this is the very first time I have done any sort of silver smithing.  Which is just plain silly since my parents were silver smiths.

Marcus did a little smithing when he first met me, and learned from the best, my mother.

I have only ever done beading and stringing work.  And some silver wire wrapping I have been doing since I was knee high to a grass hopper.

Like this.














But this silver smithing is a completely different beast.

It involves toxic chemicals, sharp tools, high heat flame and oh...will.  Will as in a strong and focused will.  It is on a small scale, forging like iron workers, sword makers...beating swords into plowshares...that sort of thing.

It really does take a certain fortitude to take raw metal, have a vision and then use your hands to create something that matches your vision.

I guess that it is the same fortitude that any artist uses.

I have worked and continue to work with many mediums and they all have their different qualities.  I guess what struck me as so different this time is that metal, silver, is so very different than wool.  The last series I worked on was wrought from soft gentle and ultra malleable wool, and the series of pieces I created in CA were rough, sharp and crisp.

Henry Matisse said, 
"Much of the beauty that arises in art comes from the struggle an artist wages with his limited medium."

That dude was right on the money.

Whether food, wool, paint, ink, silver, wood, rocks, words, song, stage or simply breathing and going about our lives...our interaction with the medium in which you are working asserts it's will.  

And we as artists and human beings, must observe, adjust and meet that will with our own.

This is what my will made the silver do.  












I did all of this with the help of Marucs.  He handled the fire and the toxic chemicals.  I did the designing and the prep work...like a souse chef/executive chef. 

I did have him teach me how to do all the other stuff, but in an effort to be efficient, splitting up the tasks seemed optimal.  And fire and chemicals scare me.  Marcus however...is fearless.


After two days of me pumping out heart pendant design after heart pendant design...Marcus asserted his will and said...Enough with the damn hearts!  Can't we do something else?

So we did.






I am certain Marcus would like me to mention that this piece is his baby.  It was his idea and his execution.













They may not be swords into plowshares...but it's a start.
















Now that we have all the pieces home and there are no toxic chemicals or fire,  I am sitting around doing this.







All of this is currently sitting on my dining room table and we have had to eat dinner in the backyard or on the front porch for three days now.  

All these things will be/are for sale, and I am in the process of purchasing a very expensive violin for a certain youngest girl child of mine, so I am willing to negotiate.  Really.  Let me know if you see anything you like.  And pass it on to all your friends and relatives.  Did I mention that the bow and the case for the violin are not included in the purchase price...they are extra?  Oh and all purchases will come with a free pair of earrings and a thank you.

Blessings on your day...go out and use your will!





No comments:

Post a Comment