Thursday, August 26, 2010

Fish Tacos

This treat I am sharing with you today is one of our household favorites.

It comes as twist on the fish tacos we used to eat at a place called Rubio's in Phoenix.  On Tuesday afternoons...it was $1 fish taco night.  Those babies went down great with an ice cold Corona.

Here in Oregon, there are no Rubio's.  So I had to figure out how to make them on my own.

I have been playing with the recipe for a few years now and this is how we like to eat ours now.


Now for this meal, I had Cod, but any fish you like will work...even shrimp...especially shrimp!

I used corn tortillas.  I like to put black beans on them too.  This time I didn't feel like making salsa, so I bought some, I know...it's cheating and I am going to hell.  (All the reasons I am going to be going to hell for, this salsa is just the tip of the ice burg!)  The cheese I could do without, but my family likes it.  Oh...I almost forgot, the cabbage is key, don't forget it! And don't use lettuce, that would send you to hell for sure.

 The most important ingredient in these delectable tacos is the sauce.  The baja fish sauce.  Oh my god...I could eat it with a spoon...I do eat it with a spoon...when no one is looking.




I have fooled with this enough times that I think I finally have it just the way I like it.  Ignore the creepy looking ceyanne pepper bottle, I am trying hard to be "Eugene" and reuse stuff...hence the creepy re-used spice bottle.

And all of these items must be present to make the sauce just so.   I like things just so.




I use these and every time I do...my kitchen smells so good, I think I have died and gone to heaven.  Or at least to a beach in Mexico drinking cold beer and eating crab tostadas...which is pretty much the same thing.




And I wanted to show you this because it had revolutionized my life.  Get some, your life will never be the same, I promise.




Incase you want to make this...it's 1 part mayo, 1 part sour cream, juice from one lime, 3 garlic cloves, salt and cayenne or whatever hot sauce you like.  The most important thing is to taste it and adjust it to how you like it.




I get everything ready ahead of time.  The cabbage has to be really thin, or the earth might spin off it's axis.

Now I wanted to grill the fish, but Marcus, who had jumped in to help out, insisted on the traditional frying method.




Either way is good.  I have even bough frozen battered fish when I wanted to make it really easy.




I warm my tortillas up on an oiled cast iron skillet.  Just like my mother, my grandmother and all the Mexican woman in the world.




After all the hard work...




every bite is a little bit of therapy.

1 comment:

  1. Rockin fish taco recipe Nali! I'm made the sauce twice =) Hope to see ya soon -Lainey

    ReplyDelete