Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Animal Kingdom

I like animals.
All kinds, wild, domestic, big, small...
They're really cute.  I love them dressed up in clothes.  Tap dancing, surfing, water sking, eating at the table, watching TV...you know, in their natural habitat....like the good lord intended.
When I was on safari with Nava in Lake Tahoe, we stumbled upon this guy.  It may have been a girl...I don't know, it wasn't wearing a dress so it was hard to tell.
It was exhilarating to say the least.  

We couldn't decide what it was at first.
We ruled out leopard right away...no spots. Obviously.

Nava and I know a lot about wildlife.



We stayed very still and quiet, from the safety of the car.  We drove very slowly as not to disturb him...her...the cheetah.

We watched for quite some time, I couldn't take my eyes of her, him...in hopes that we would see something like this...









The 6 hours we spent in observation of this little creature...this hyena,
cars passed us, evidently not seeing what we were seeing.  Or maybe they didn't want to see, maybe encounters with hyenas are common in those parts.



But it makes me wonder...how many times have I missed an opportunity to commune with the animal kingdom?  Not just the animal kingdom, but any opportunity?  Any opportunity to be present in the moment, to learn from my surroundings?

How many times have I been in my own head with my self involved thoughts that I missed something...something that I could have enjoyed, something that could have taught me something, something that would have brought me back into the world and out of own mind?

Our own minds and own little worlds serve a purpose I suppose, but wouldn't it be nice if we got outside ourselves and connected with something bigger, something worldly, something that made us think about something other than ourselves?  Maybe...maybe not.






If we stay open and observant to the wonders that are all around us, maybe we can remember that we are a part of something bigger, something complex and beautiful.  
We may have to look hard, and slow down, but  it may be worth it.






1 comment:

  1. Coyote? I know what you mean...cars go whizzing past me on 680,
    while I'm noticing (only when traffic is slow enough to notice) hawks flying overhead, turkeys on the side of the hill, and sometimes deer right below the mansions near Mission Blvd. It's wonderful--aaahhhh. ss

    ReplyDelete